Our program is tailored to children ages 12 months to 4 years and provides early childhood experiences that respect and honor the many ways children learn. At The Eastside Day School, we offer opportunities for children to succeed in an atmosphere that is caring and values the individual. Young children are competent and capable people whose curiosity propels them to learn about their world. Together, with teachers and peers, students are supported to build upon what they know in order to refine and deepen their understandings. Play is central to children’s learning and we incorporate a variety of educational theories and approaches in an environment that is intellectually stimulating, emotionally nurturing and playful.
For many children, entering our child care center this is their first formal classroom experience with a group of their peers. At The Eastside Day School, we want this first experience to be a very enjoyable one for each family. Early childhood is a critical stage in development, making the classroom environment all the more important. Some objectives, beliefs, goals and guidelines, include:
- Development of language skills are extremely important at this young age. We incorporate many language activities throughout the day that stress both receptive and expressive skills.
- Toddlers learn directly through play. We make the classroom inviting and interesting with toys that are changed frequently. We strive to get the children involved, curious and enthusiastic about their world of play.
- Learning involves using and processing through all of the senses. These sensory experiences are blended into daily activities.
- Toddlers love to sing and dance! Music and movement is an integral part of each day. Children learn to follow directions, enjoy the rhythm of dance and have fun with body movements.
- Creativity through art is also first developing at this very young age. Emphasis is placed on the experience of the process and not on the finished product. Various materials are introduced for the toddlers to explore. Art is planned each day.
- Children are read a variety of stories and books frequently, throughout each day. The importance of reading to all children cannot be over-emphasized.
- Keeping a clean and sanitized toddler class is the only way to keep children healthy. Frequent hand washing, proper diapering procedures and good nutrition are an important part of our program.
- Our commitment to outdoor play includes visiting neighborhood playgrounds. Playing outside affords the children the opportunities to run, climb, dig, slide and explore their natural environment. We play outdoors year round, weather permitting.
- Young children thrive on routine. Although the activities vary from day to day, the routines and rituals remain the same. They become the expectations of the children, promoting independence and success.
The atmosphere of the class is one of nurturance, patience, caring, respecting and enjoyment. Join us!